As we were packing up from our yard sale recently, I found this photo frame I had forgotten about. The nice thing about it was that it was large (12 x 15) – the reason I hadn’t used it was because it was large! It didn’t take long for me to get a little inspiration. We took off the backing and the glass and painted the frame white. We then grabbed some chicken wire we had used to help some grass grow in the backyard. We snipped the chicken wire to fit. I had previously purchased the wooden “family” to use on a wall project and this one was leftover (purchased at Michael’s for about $2). We painted that with the paint we had used on our walls and glued it to the frame. We used twine we had leftover from another project – we wrapped it around the frame and left a little in the middle for hanging. We found the burlap clothes pins at Walmart for about $1.50. (Pictured here with 2 packets.) Quick, easy, cute! And due to the fact I had some supplies already, cost less than $5.
Now that it’s September, our Flip Flop wreath was starting to get out of season – so we headed out to get some inspiration! We found the plain, grape-vine wreath and fall flower spray at Walmart. Wreath was about $5 and the flowers were $3. The twine we had from our cute Baskets on the Stairs project. The burlap banners I found pre-cut with finished edges at Micheal’s – they had so many cute designs to choose from. A set of 12 was $5. I also picked up the small wooden letters at Michael’s for $4 (but I think I saw these same ones at Walmart for a little less…after the fact, of course!) We painted the letters with leftovers from the newly painted living room walls. We got out the handy glue gun to secure the letters to the banners and make sure the flower spray doesn’t come out, tied the twine to the burlap banners and that was it. Easy and customized! And all for about $20.
Re-finishing & painting our old furniture – it’s definitely my new thing! I have previously highlighted how we took our sofa table from “drab” to fab! So as I was staring at the coffee table which was purchased as part of the set and I thought, “This needs some love and attention as well.” I just really wanted to make sure the coffee table matched…so, we took the same Mission-style table in what had eventually aged into an orangey-butterscotch color and gave it a coat of paint and some burlap on top. I staple-gunned the burlap under the lip of the table to keep it secure. (This is the same roll of burlap we purchased originally from Walmart for $6 and the same paint for the china cabinet and sofa table!) So pretty much the only cost of this project was time! Now, the burlap acts as a coaster and the entire look fits the theme of the room!
I am not sure what your house is like – but in our house – things seem to be dropped everywhere. I constantly walk through the main level (of our 3 level town home) collecting things (shoes, hair bands, toys, books, etc.) and placing them on the stairs leading to the bedrooms. It definitely wasn’t a terrible idea – though these little beauties are a cuter way to store the items. My sister picked up the baskets at the Dollar Store. I picked up the letters and twine at Michael’s. We wrapped the twine around the letters and secured them to the basket. All up we spent about $12. And, yes, it just so happens the 4 of us are “A, B, C and D” –
Actually the sofa table wasn’t really drab – I loved it when I bought it 7 years ago or so. But similar to my previous post, I am really trying to move from the “yes, my house is full of hand me downs” to “yes, my house is actually decorated with a consistent theme”! This summer, it was time to tackle the sofa table (there is a matching coffee table that we also worked on, that one is coming soon!) Similar to my old wood floors which just got refinished, the color on this table was totally leaning orange (not a huge fan on my floors or my furniture, though I do like the orange in my logo!) Also, the glued laminate strip around the edges was peeling off – yes, this piece of furniture was a laminate/pressed wood, cheap affordable piece (actually ordered from Target years ago). It definitely served its purpose, but now I needed it to fit! Since this was the first piece we tackled, we actually sanded the whole thing back to its natural state. That wasn’t easy, mind you. Mid-way through, I purchased a Dremmel! That made our lives a little easier. Sanding took a couple of days. Then the painting began. We decided to use the same high gloss paint we used on the trim in our kitchen and living room. It took about 2-3 coats. Especially in some spots where we kept seeing some staining coming through. Yes, I am sure the high [click to read more]